Research and Development Chef for our restaurants on the Oregon Coast! LIVE, work, play and CREATE delicious food at the beach.
Pelican Brewing Company, located on the scenic Oregon Coast, is Oregon’s fastest growing craft beer brand with three locations including our flagship brewpub located on the beach in Pacific City, our newly opened brewpub in Cannon Beach, and our Tap Room located above the floor of our production brewery in Tillamook.
We are seeking a skilled culinary talent to create exciting dishes to pair with some of the world’s greatest beer! Pelican Pub and Brewery is known for its high quality coastal cuisine and excellent beer. The Culinary R&D Chef works directly with the Director of Restaurant Operations, General Management and Kitchen Management teams to develop menus that showcase the abundant variety of local ingredients and incorporate beer in new and innovative ways.
Applicants should be looking to enjoy the small town, coastal environment and all a rural community has to offer. Our coastal communities are focused on the great outdoors with salmon fishing, surfing, hiking, beachcombing, and clamming as the primary recreational activities.
This is a salaried full time position with medical benefits, PTO, 401K, and a generous discount card program.
After exploring our website at www.PelicanBrewering.com, please submit a cover letter and resume.
We look forward to getting to know you!
- Keep Pelican at the forefront of culinary development by staying abreast with trends and identifying opportunities to differentiate.
- Create menus for all Pelican Brewing food service outlets including core menus, feature sheets, and specials.
- Complete twice annual menu reviews for all locations.
- Optimize menus mix to meet the goals of the location by analyzing menu mix and margin.
- Optimize menus for process to ensure menu items are executable within the equipment, skill level, and timing requirements of the facility.
- Work with consultants on menu items and direction as needed to bring fresh ideas and outside concepts when necessary.
Competitions and Events
- Weddings and Banquets
- Brewers Dinners
- Represent Pelican Brewing at culinary competitions
Food Cost Management
- Optimize menu items to meet food cost goals while meeting the quality standard of the organization.
- Input recipes and new ingredients into software system
- Ensure inventory accuracy through regular audits of data and physical inventories
- Creating menus items and mixes that meet theoretical food cost goals.
- Troubleshoot food cost issues with facility managers and help develop solutions. Assist with training as needed.
- Create HOH training programs and work with facility managers to ensure they are executed to standard.
- Complete regular recipe adherence audits to identify training opportunities and work with facility managers on solutions.
- Train Service and Lodging teams on new menus and new items
Food Quality and Safety
- Ensure safe food handling practices in all locations
- Perform regular food safety audits to ensure compliance
- Food safety training
- Works alongside the culinary teams in each Pelican Brewing facility to ensure proper recipe adherence and product management.
- Propose solutions to challenges in each facility to each facility’s General Manager.
- Minimum 5 years at the Chef / Kitchen Manager level
- Minimum 10 years full service restaurant experience
- Culinary degree or formal culinary training
- Friendly; willing to get to know those with long tenure and their contribution
- Successful Team Builder; shows an attribute to putting successful teams in place
- Operations Execution focused to include;
- Knowledge of standard financial reporting systems
- Understanding of all restaurant related expense systems
- food cost
- labor cost
- workers compensation
- unemployment costs
- full P&L responsibility
- Training focused
- Understanding of Menu Engineering